Raid to Sicily - Covid cancelled
14th Jan 2021
The Raid Comittee writes:
The reason we have decided to cancel this Raid is based around the current position with the coronavirus vaccinations. We are told that we shall need two vaccinations and if the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is used there will be a twelve week period between shots after which another period of three weeks will be necessary before the vaccine takes full effect. A total of at least fifteen weeks between the first jab and something approaching immunity!
In order to be in Palermo in time to start the Giro di Sicilia we need to take the ferry from Genoa on June 8th so entrants should leave the UK by June 5th at the latest. This would necessitate all entrants having received their first inoculation by week commencing 15th February, the second jab in week commencing 10th May then the three week period for the vaccination to take full effect takes us to week commencing 31st May. June 5thbeing the following Sunday. Consequently we think the chances of all these dates falling into place for everyone are unlikely.
We must also bear in mind that we are given to understand neither France nor Italy are as advanced with these vaccines as the UK plus the fact that they may not permit entry to their countries as we could still be asymptomatic.